In this episode, we welcome back Dr. Ashley Beckman, a doctor of Chinese medicine and acupuncture and a board-certified acupuncturist and herbalist. She utilizes functional medicine principles and specializes in healthy aging, epigenetics, pain management, preconception planning, fertility, detoxification, autoimmune conditions, fatigue, headaches, stress reduction and facial rejuvenation.
Dr. Beckman had previously been on the show on episode 16 where she talked to us about epigenetics and specifically how we can use our genetic information to resolve specific health conditions.
Dr. Beckman comes back on the show to expand on the topic of epigenetics and will dive into nutrigenomics- the study of the relationship between the human genome, nutrition, and health.
She will tell us what we should eat more of to improve our health in certain areas and talk about a handful of compounds that have been proven to have a great effect on overall health and altering epigenetic expression.
She will highlight one particular compound, sulforaphane, which is helpful at altering epigenetic expression, and can be easily found in vegetables like broccoli sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, brussels sprouts, cabbage, bok choy, and watercress. It has been linked to health benefits, such as improved heart health and digestion, and is used for the prevention of prostate cancer and other types of cancer.
This is definitely an episode you won’t want to miss if you’re looking into achieving great health for yourself and your family. Tune in for more.
Key Topics Discussed
- What nutrigenomics is all about and how it affects epigenetics (03:05)
- The main reason cruciferous vegetables have gotten so much press (05:35)
- Changing up and flipping vegetables so kids can take them much more easily (08:33)
- The availability of foods similar to those we’re used to, but that are tastier and not super detrimental to our health (14:16)
- The best lifestyle tip that Dr. Beckman gives (15:27)
- A natural ingredient that we can use to reduce inflammation (18:31)
- The reason for the rise in cancer rates, different allergies, and food sensitivities (23:41)
- The importance of making the best investments for the machine that is our body (26:38)
“There are so many great companies now that have changed the way that we can make something similar to what we grew up with that is tasty and not super detrimental to your health” - Dr. Ashley Beckman
“When you look at food, you look at it as kind of the best fuel that you can put in your body” - Dr. Ashley Beckman
“Our body is a system and a machine, and it is very intelligent, and we need to give it kind of the the best resources that we can to make it run as smoothly and optimally as possible.” - Dr. Ashley Beckman
True Detox Episodes