This episode comes at the perfect time for our listeners. We understand that everyone is dealing with a great deal of stress and looking for answers in this time of uncertainty. How do we remain positive amidst all the negativity that is going on? Tracy Southwick is back on the podcast to talk about finding the right tools for stress and emotional cleansing as we go through these unprecedented events.
She teaches us tools to reset and find peace in chaos. One of the ways to remain calm is by learning to maintain deep breaths. Many people, when faced with uncertainty, tend to breathe shallow. This can trigger a fight or flight mode within the body. Stacy takes us through the 4-7-8 breathing technique to help us heal our body and mind.
Social distancing doesn't mean you can find alternative ways to be social. We are going to talk about keeping your social connections. Check on an elderly family member or neighbors in our communities through writing letters, calling or sending positive messages online. These positive interactions are another way to ease anxiety and stress during this period.
We also talk about how to use this time we are in to bring positive change to our lives and build positive habits. We can learn how to meditate, cook healthy meals, and maybe learn a new language. At the end of the day, we need to accept that we cannot change the external situation. We can only control how to react.
Key Topics Discussed
- Learning to keep taking deep breaths in stressful situations to calm our minds (3:11)
- How to take control of your physiology and not letting the environment control it (6:01)
- What is the 478 breathing technique and how it helps us in a stressful situation (7:35)
- Having a grateful attitude for the things we take for granted by keeping a gratitude journal (16:44)
- Fighting loneliness by keeping our social connections going on (21:12)
- Creating positive changes and postie habits (23:32)
- Grabbing this opportunity to learn something new and creative during this time (23:32)
- Being outside in the sun and fresh air helps bring down our stress response (25:18)
“We don't have to dwell on the negativity. Let's find positivity. And then move forward from there” Craig
“When you're in a state of gratitude, you cannot be in a state of fight or flight, your brain doesn't work that way.” Stacy
“Social distancing doesn't mean social disconnecting” Ryan
True Detox Episodes