In this episode, Dr. Jaban Moore helps us understand misdirected immune responses. He breaks down the relatively new diagnosis Pans/Panda; an immune reaction that creates inflammation in the brain.
Dr. Moore talks about his personal experience with Lyme Disease and how it motivated him to research chronic illnesses and how it influenced his practice. His concentration with children started after he treated a child with autism who had clear cognitive improvements.
Pans/Panda is a relatively new diagnosis that impacts 1 in every 200 children and sometimes goes unnoticed.
Panda (Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Streptococcal Infections) occurs when strep triggers a misdirected immune response and results in inflammation on a child’s brain. This causes personality changes such as anxiety, depression and OCD.
PANS (Pediatric Acute-onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome) will result in the same cognitive reactions, but is triggered by environmental factors or other possible triggers.
He discusses available treatments and success stories in this episode of True Detox.
Listen to learn more about the symptoms and what to do if you suspect that your child may be living with Pans/Panda.
Key Topics Discussed
- Introduction of guest, Dr. Jaban Moore (0:23)
- Dr. Jaban experienced symptoms of lyme disease in his mid twenties and sought help from Dr. Lindsley (1:52)
- Decided he wanted lead to a practice comprised of chronic illness patients with 50% children (4:45)
- What is Pans/Pandas (11:05)
- How to diagnose Pans/Panda (16:50)
- Dr. Moore’s approach to treatment (19:34)
- Discusses if this is something a parent can treat on their own (24:16)
- Rewarding experiences with his patients (27:56)
“The parents smile as the kid starts to come back to normal and their kid’s depression goes down well, their anxiety and depression goes down and you can just see the relief in the person.” - Dr. Jaban Moore
“There's a way forward. It's not a quick fix. But there's a way forward.” - Craig Randall
“The parents of autistic or pans/pandas kids are absolutely incredible. They are probably Some of the most well researched, intelligent, and ask some of the best questions of any patient or parent or person I work with.” - Dr. Jaban Moore
True Detox Episodes